This is modified from the Susan Herrmann Loomis cookbook “French Grill”.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, more if needed
- 12 ounces (360 g) onions, brimmed and thinly sliced
- Fine sea salt
- 4 medium (about 6 ounces: 180 g) flavorful apples, such as Pink Lady, cored, peeled and cut into ⅓ inch sections
- Prepare the onions and apples.
- Using either a plancha or in a cut-iron skillet on the gas grill or the BBQ over a very hot fire.
- Melt the butter and the oil together and add the onions. Stir, season lightly with salt, cover the grill and cook the onions until softened and golden, 5 to 8 minutes, checking often and stirring to be sure they do not burn. If they turn dark golden at the edges, don’t be concerned; this enhances their flavor.
- Remove the onions from the pan and add the apples, stirring into the remaining oil in the pan. If there isn’t enough add 2 teaspoons oil and a scant tablespoon of butter).
- Cook the apples until they are golden, 3 minutes, stir and continue to cook until they are tender and golden through, an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan. Taste both the onions and the apples for seasoning and reserve.