- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 4 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia) or red onions or 2 to 3 leeks (cleaned, white part only), sliced very thinly
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium and cook stirring frequently until the onions begin to color about 10 minutes. If the pan seems dry, add a few extra tablespoons of oil.
- When the onions are golden brown on the edges or are beginning to stick to the pan, add the water and the brown sugar. Stir and continue to cook until the liquid evaporates and the onions are very tender and have melded together in a tangle another 10 to 15 minutes.
- These can be made ahead and saved for pizzas, sandwiches, etc. so always have some in the refrigerator.