- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound yellow onions coarsely chopped
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage removed from casings
- 4 pounds beef chuck ground
- 1 can tomato paste – (12 oz)
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup ground cumin
- ½ cup chili powder
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1½ tablespoons salt or to taste
- 1½ tablespoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 cans Italian plum tomatoes – (28 oz ea) drained
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cans dark-red kidney beans – (16 oz ea) drained
- 2 cans pitted black olives – (5½ oz ea) drained (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a very large pot. Add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat and ground chuck; cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the meats are well browned. Spoon off any excess fat and discard.
- Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley and kidney beans. Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add olives; simmer for 5 minutes more to heat through.
- Serve immediately.