- 9 tablespoons salted butter (1 tablespoon softened)
- 8 ounces pitted prunes (about 11⁄2 cups), finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup plus 1⁄4 cup white sugar 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 325°F with a rack in the middle position. Coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan evenly with the tablespoon of so ened butter. In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, combine the prunes, rum and molasses. Microwave until the rum is bubbling, 45 to 60 seconds. Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. Remove from the heat and immediately add the chocolate, then whisk until melted and completely smooth. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1⁄3 cup of sugar until pale and glossy, about 30 seconds. Slowly add the melted chocolate mixture and continue whisking until smooth. Stir in the prune mixture.
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until light and foamy, about 1 minute. With the mixer running, slowly sprinkle in the remaining 1⁄4 cup of sugar and continue to whip until the whites are thick and glossy and hold so peaks, about 1 minute.
- Whisk 1⁄3 of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Gently fold in the remaining whites with a rubber spatula until the batter is marbled but not fully blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. If needed, smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until the edges of the cake are rm and cracked, 35 to 40 minutes. e center will be just set, yet so to the touch. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving (the cake will settle and sink as it cools).
Source: Milk Street
Tip: Don’t over-bake this cake. Don’t be alarmed if the center still jiggles a bit and yields to gentle pressure; the cake will continue to set after it comes out of the oven.