- 3 ounces Scharffen Berger 70 percent Bittersweet chocolate chopped fine
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Melt the chocolate with ½ of the cream over a double boiler. DO NOT LET THE CHOCOLATE GET TOO HOT OR IT WILL TASTE OFF. In another pan bring the milk and the rest of the cream to a boil and stir into the chocolate mixture. Stir in sugar and vanilla and salt to taste.
- Place the yolks in another bowl and slowly add the hot chocolate mixture to the yolks in a thin stream while stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture back into the double boiler and bring to a boil. Reduce to a medium flame and cook for 3 minutes longer while stirring.
- Pour through a fine strainer into 4 heat proof cups.
- Place a deep tray into the oven. Place cups on tray then fill tray halfway with hot tap water. Cover with foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes until set.
- Chill completely and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- This is the BEST recipe for this sinfully rich and elegant dessert. Even those who do not swoon over chocolate will fall in love with this one.