For the Salad
- 3 large eggs
- 2 bunches thick asparagus spears, bottom ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, for garnish
For the Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise, best quality such as Hellmann’s or Duke’s
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch salt
- A few grinds freshly ground black better
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with cold water by one inch. Heat over high heat until the water comes to a rapid boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover with a lid and let stand for 14 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water to chill. Peel and chop the eggs and set aside.
- Bring 6 cups water and 4 teaspoons salt to a boil in a large shallow pot. Add the asparagus and cook 3-4 minutes, or until tender-crisp. While the asparagus is cooking, fill a large bowl with ice and water. Transfer the cooked asparagus to the ice bath to stop the cooking process and preserve the bright green color. When cool, remove the asparagus from the ice bath and set on a clean dish towel to dry.
- For the sauce, mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To serve, arrange the asparagus spears on individual plates or a platter and spoon the sauce generously over the middle of the spears. Sprinkle the chopped eggs and chives over the sauce.
Source: Once Upon A Chef by By Jennifer Segal, adapted from Jacques Pepin’s “More Fast Food My Way”.