- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 large green bell pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 large onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 14 ½ ounce cans stewed tomatoes, chopped including the liquids
- ⅓ cup wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3 ½ ounce jar capers, including liquid
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 5 ounce jar pimiento stuffed olives, rinsed and sliced
- In large pan, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook 30 minutes until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 15 minutes. This dish freezes well.
- Serve warm to complement meat or serve cool with crackers as hors d’oeuvres. With the addition of shrimp, this may be used as a salad or an omelet filling.