- Unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1 ½ pounds/680 g (small cantaloupe-size piece) of Master Recipe
- Unbleached all-purpose our, for rolling
- 1 small apple, cored and finely diced
- 6 tablespoons (75 g) sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Butter an 81⁄2 x 41⁄2-inch (21.5-by-11.5 cm) nonstick loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the dough with our to prevent sticking and let it rest, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 90 minutes.
- Sprinkle more our on top of the dough and, on a oured surface, roll the dough into 1⁄4-inch (6 mm) thick rectangle.
- Spread the apples over the dough. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle 5 tablespoons of it over the apples. Stretch the dough into a rectangle one more time, and press the lling into the dough.
- Tightly roll the dough up into a log, starting at the end nearest you. Pinch the seam together to seal, and then fold the log into a ball as you would fold a letter.
- Set the loaf in the prepared pan fold side down. Let rest for 90 minutes, loosely covered with plastic wrap.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C/gas 5), with a baking stone on the middle rack.
- Brush the loaf with egg wash, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon sugar, and use a serrated knife to cut a slash down the center of the loaf.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until deeply browned and firm.
- Transfer to a wire rack, remove the loaf from the pan, and let cool completely.
Source: Crafty.com Artisan Breads in Minutes