- 1 3/4 cups sugar divided
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 3 eggs (2 for the cake and 1 for the topping)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream together 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of margarine or butter.
- Add 2 eggs one at a time(save the third one for the topping) and 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat well.
- Mix 2 cups of unbleached flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt in a separate bowl and add 1/3 at a time to above creamed ingredients. Do not over mix but make sure the ingredients are completely combined.
- Spread ½ of the above mixture on the bottom of a buttered 8 by 10 inch pan.
- Mix the 3 cups of blueberries with ½ cup sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon and spread over the batter.
- Spread the remaining dough over the blueberries. I usually do this by wetting my hands, taking a large ladle of the dough, patting it and laying it over the blueberries……..it gets kind of messy but works. Wash your hands after each “ladle” and the dough should pretty much slide off your hands.
- Now beat the reminding egg and spread it over the dough. Top with ¼ cup sugar and ½ cup nuts. Bake 50-55 minutes in a 350 oven.