- Unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1 ½ pounds/680 g (small cantaloupe-size piece) of Master Recipe
- Unbleached all-purpose our, for rolling
- 4 tablespoons Pesto (do not let it sit out before you spread it)
- 1 egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Butter an 8 ½ x 4 ½ inch (21.5-by-11.5 cm) nonstick loaf pan.
- Sprinkle the dough with our to prevent sticking and let it rest, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 90 minutes.
- Sprinkle more our on top of the dough and, on a oured surface, roll the dough into 1⁄4-inch (6 mm) thick rectangle
- Spread the pesto over the dough but not to the edges of the rectangle. Stretch the dough into a rectangle one more time.
- Tightly roll the dough up into a log, starting at the end nearest you. Pinch the seam together to seal, and then fold the log into a ball as you would fold a letter.
- Set the loaf in the prepared pan fold side down. Let rest for 90 minutes, loosely covered with plastic wrap.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C/gas 5), with a baking stone on the middle rack.
- Brush the loaf with egg wash, and use a serrated knife to cut a slash down the center of the loaf.
- Bake for about 40 to 45 minutes, until deeply browned and rm.
- Transfer to a wire rack, remove the loaf from the pan, and try to wit until it is cool completely.