- 2 pounds 80/20 Ground Beef
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Red Onion, Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Real Mayonnaise
- Kaiser Rolls
- 1 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Your Favorite Lettuce
- Place the ground beef into a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper. Add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce. With your hands, mix the meat and seasoning well. Set aside.
- Next, for the onions, heat a medium skillet over low heat. Add in 2 tablespoons butter. Dump in the sliced (not too thick, not too thin) red onions. Now add 2 generous tablespoons brown sugar. Give it a toss to combine the ingredients, and then allow the onions to caramelize over low heat for about twenty minutes, tossing occasionally.
- While the onions are caramelizing, make the spicy mayo: Place ¼ cup mayonnaise into a small bowl and simply add a few dashes of Tabasco. Stir together and test for taste.
- Next, slice the Kaiser rolls in half and spread each half with about ½ tablespoon of butter. Place them face down on a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. Lightly grill the rolls so they’ll be tough enough to hold the spicy mayo. Let the rolls cool on a plate until you need them.
- Form the meat into two patties and place on a grill pan or skillet over medium to medium-low heat. Allow each to cook about 3 minutes, then using a spatula, rotate 45 degrees, leaving it on the same side.
- Flip the burger and cook it for a couple of minutes, rotating it 45 degrees again to get the nice grill marks.
- Now add a large helping of caramelized onions over top of that glorious patty, followed by an equally generous helping of crumbled blue cheese.
- As it finishes cooking, spread the spicy mayo on the Kaiser rolls and transfer the burger onto the bottom half of the bun. Top with a handful of greens and top with the bun.
Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks