For the acorn squash relish
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup acorn squash cut into ⅛-in cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons deli mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley (optional)
For the burger
- 1 ½ pounds ground pork
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella
- 4 brioche hamburger buns
- lettuce, tomato, and thinly sliced red onion
- Place 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the acorn squash. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft all the way through, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Add the brown sugar and toss to coat evenly. Add the deli mustard, red wine vinegar, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- Place ground pork in a bowl, season with cumin, 1 tablespoon each salt and pepper, to taste. Mix by hand until spices are well incorporated. Form your ground pork into eight evenly-sized thin patties.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices and put a quarter of the mozzarella into the center of four of the patties.
- Place the remaining patties on top of the mozzarella and press down along the edges to form four mozzarella-stuffed pork burgers. Make sure to pinch the sides of each patty until the burger is completely closed off.
- Brush outside of burgers lightly with olive oil and a pinch more salt. Put your burgers on a grill or griddle at high heat and let cook about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until they’re just cooked though and their internal temperature reaches 145º F.
- While the burgers are cooking, cut the buns in half and drizzle each size with a little olive oil. Place the buns on the grill, cut side down and toast until lightly browned.
- Place hot burger on a toasted hamburger bun and spoon acorn squash mustard on top. Serve with lettuce, tomato and thinly sliced red onion.
Source: Mario Batali