For the filling
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. grated scamorza or mozzarella (about 2 cups)
For the pie
- 2-1/2 lb. russet potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 2 oz. (4 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plain panko
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 oz. finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 cup grated on a rasp)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the filling
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until deeply browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rosemary and garlic, and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make the pie
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes by 1 inch with well-salted water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower to a simmer.
- Cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with 1 Tbs. of the butter, then cover evenly with 1/4 cup of the panko.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and heat the oven to 400°F.
- Drain the potatoes well, and return them to the pot to steam, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbs. of the butter, the cream, eggs, Parmigiano, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper, and mash thoroughly.
- Spread half of the mashed potatoes evenly in the prepared pan.
- Cover with 1 cup of the scamorza, followed by the onion mixture and the remaining scamorza.
- Top with the remaining potatoes, and smooth the top with a silicone spatula.
- Sprinkle the surface with the remaining 1/4 cup panko, and dot with the remaining 1 Tbs. butter.
- Bake until the top is golden-brown and the center is very hot, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before running a paring knife around the edge to release the pan.
- Cut into wedges and serve with a green salad, if you like.
Source: By Lynne Curry Fine Cooking October/November 2019 issue – https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/rosemary-and-scamorza-potato-pie