Anchovies add a salty depth of flavor to this bright, garlicky salad dressing. Here it’s tossed with radicchio and arugula, but it will work on any full-flavored salad greens. Try it on frisée, spinach or raw baby kale. If you want to make this in a blender, double the quantities so the dressing emulsifies properly. Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days. — Melissa Clark
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 quarts cleaned arugula
- 1 small head radicchio, trimmed and thinly sliced
- To make the dressing, use the flat side of a knife or a mortar and pestle to make a paste out of garlic and a pinch of salt. In a small bowl, whisk together garlic paste, anchovy, mustard and lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in oil until combined. Season with salt and pepper and more lemon if desired.
In a large bowl, toss enough dressing with arugula and radicchio to lightly coat leaves. Serve immediately.
Source: NY Times Cooking