- 1 ½ to 2 pounds broccoli
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon dry Sherry
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- Cut broccoli tops into florets. Cut off top three inches of stems, peel and but into thin strips about 1 ½ inches long.
- Cook florets and stems covered in three inches of boiling, salted water until just barely tender. Rinse under cold running water and drain.
- Transfer drained broccoli to a large bowl. Add the shallots, onion and orange zest and toss.
- Combine mustard with vinegar, Sherry and oil in bow. Pour dressing over broccoli and season with salt and pepper.
- Chill thoroughly. Sprinkle with almonds right before serving.