- ¼ cup soft shortening
- ¼ cup soft butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sifted flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped walnut
- 1 beaten egg white
- Jelly or candied fruit pieces
- Set oven to 375 degrees
- Mix together the butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla. Sift together the flour and salt and add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and dig in egg white and then roll in finely chopped walnuts.
- Place about 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake five minutes, remove and quickly press thumb gently on top of each cookie.
- Return to oven and bake 8 to 12 minutes more.
- Let cool and fill thumbprints with jelly or a piece of chopped candied fruit.
- Only makes about two dozen so I usually double it.