- 4 large ripe firm tomatoes cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ pound bacon, cooked, drained, cooled and crumbled
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 puff pastry sheet thawed or pate brisee for a 9 inch tart pan
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Set aside.
- Combine the basil and ricotta in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add the eggs, pulse until combined. Add the mozzarella, parmesan, bacon, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out to a 10 by 10 inch square. Gently press it into an 9 inch tart pan with removable sides and trim the edges.
- Gently press the tomato slices between dry paper towels to remove excess moisture. Line the bottom of the tart with the ends of the tomatoes, skin side down. Pour the cheese mixture over the tomatoes and spread it out evenly.
- Arrange the remaining tomato slices over the cheese, overlapping each slice slightly.
- Bake until the cheese mixture is firm, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.