- 2 cups flour, more for rolling
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 pound medium yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375. Combine flour with ½ teaspoon salt and whisk to blend. Add 6 tablespoons butter and cut in.
- Add 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water, mixing until dough can be gathered into a ball. Roll out dough to about 11 inches in diameter, and place it in a 10 inch fluted tart shell. Refrigerate.
- In a large skillet over medium, melt remaining butter. Add onions and thyme and sauté until onions are soft and golden. Add wine, and increase heat. Simmer, stirring until wine evaporates. Season to taste. Remove from heat.
- Combine eggs, and whisk in milk and cream. Season with nutmeg and salt and pepper. Pour into tart shell and scatter onions evenly over tart.
- Baked until filling is set, about 30 minutes. Cool briefly before serving.
Comments: Wonderful as luncheon entrée with a salad.