- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ¾ cups bread flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup finely diced red onions
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Blend yeast into ¼ cup warm milk and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Add butter to remaining ¾ cup milk and stir to melt. Mix flour with sugar and salt. Add milk and butter to flour mixture and let cool slightly.
- Add yeast and mix well. Turn out on a floured board and knead until elastic and soft. Sprinkle with additional flour while kneading if needed.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover tightly with plastic and let rise about two hours or until doubled.
- Punch down, turn out on floured board and knead in onions and walnuts. Cut into 2 pieces and shape into long thin loaves about 1 ½ inches thick. Let stand 45 minutes uncovered.
- Place loaves on parchment paper on baking sheets and bake at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.