- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped ginger
- 4 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 3 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
- 1/4 pound dark unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil for cooking
- In a large saute pan coated lightly with oil over medium-high heat, saute shallots, garlic, ginger & chile until caramelized.
- Deglaze with red wine, scarping up any browned bits on bottom of pan.
- Add cranberries and water and reduce by half.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- With blender running, add thyme, sesame seeds and gradually add chocolate. Check again for flavor and season if necessary.
Note: To make Asian Mole Sauce: Use a 1:1 ratio of mole to chicken stock.
Source: Ming Tsai