- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or low fat yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 ¼ cups fresh blueberry (frozen for four hours)
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons maple sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher slat
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla
- 4 teaspoons (or more) whole milk
- 1 cup chilled fresh blueberries and mint sprigs
- FOR CUPCAKES preheat oven to 350. Line two 12 cup muffin pans with liners. Sift flour and next four ingredients into large bowl.
- Whisk melted butter and oil in bowl. Add eggs; whisk to blend. Whisk in buttermilk, milk, vanilla and lemon.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir JUST TO BLEND. Stir in frozen blueberries and ladle into liners. Bake about 23 minutes.
- FOR FROSTING combine first 5 ingredients in bowl. Add 4 teaspoons milk and beat until fluffy adding more milk by teaspoonfuls if dry. This will take about 4 minutes.
- Frost and garnish with fresh berries and mint sprigs if desired.
Comments: Freezing the berries before adding them to the batter prevents them from sinking to the bottom and from discoloring the cupcakes.