- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ to 1 cup milk
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 ten ounce can clams
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 4 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups stemmed and torn spinach
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir in to form a paste. Whisk in ½ cup milk and half and half and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Drain clams, reserving both broth and clams. Add enough water to broth to measure ½ cup. Stir into milk mixture along with potatoes.
- Cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes are almost cooked through.
- Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Stir in thyme. Add spinach and clams.
- Cover and simmer just until clams are hot and spinach is wilted, about 5 to 10 minutes. Chowder will be very thick. You can thin if you want with remaining ¼ to ½ cup milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.