My personal discovery that chocolate and ginger make an awesome flavor combination occurred when I accidentally dropped some candied ginger in a bowl of ganache. I felt like the kid in the commercial for Reese’s peanut butter cups when he realizes that peanut butter and chocolate are it. These addictive cookies benefit from the chocolate-ginger affinity, to say the least.
- 1/4 cup turbinado or other granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-brut cocoa or regular unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup minced candied ginger
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, or bittersweet chocolate chopped into small chunks
- 1 chilled log of Butter Shortbread Cookie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. On a large plate, combine the sugar, cocoa, gingers, and chocolate and mix. Set aside.
- Cut the log into twenty 12-inch rounds. Firmly press one cut surface of each round into the cocoa mixture and arrange the rounds 2 inches apart on all sides on a parchment-lined or nonstick cookie sheet or sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the cookies with a spatula and cool on a rack.
Source: Ming Tsai