After much experimentation, I found a way to give the savory “warm” five-spice taste to sweets by substituting powdered ginger for the peppercorns.
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/4 cup turbinado or other granulated sugar
- 1 chilled log of Butter Shortbread Cookie Dough
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a small bowl, combine the ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise, and sugar.
- Cut the chilled log into twenty 12-inch rounds. Dip one cut surface of each round into the spice mixture and arrange the rounds 2 inches apart on all sides on a parchment-lined or nonstick cookie sheet or sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the cookies with a spatula and cool on a wire rack.
Source: Ming Tsai