- 4 sliced Italian bread
- ½ pound hot or mild Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 ounces shredded jack cheese
- 1 small mild chili pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange 2 bread sliced on bottom of a buttered one quart oven proof dish.
- In skillet, fry sausage until browned. Spoon half of sausage over the bread.
- Sprinkle on half of cheese and half of red pepper. Repeat layers with remaining 2 bread slices, sausage and chili ending with cheese.
- Beat eggs with milk, cayenne and salt and pepper. Pour over bread layers. Press bread down to soak up liquid and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees until eggs puff, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes to set.