- 3-4 anchovy filets soaked in milk for 30 minutes and drained
- ½ cup capers drained
- 6 large cloves of garlic, 2 peeled and 4 left unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 small waxy potatoes, parboiled and quartered (small red ones are best)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 large sprigs fresh sage
- 1 3-4 pound chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Chop anchovy filets and peeled garlic to make a fine paste and set aside. Coarsely chop capers and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy skillet over medium and add unpeeled garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes until slightly tanned. Add potatoes, season to taste with salt and pepper and cook until potatoes are lightly browned. Add half the rosemary and sage and cook until garlic and potatoes are tender and crisped.
- Meanwhile, heat heavy casserole with tight-fitting lid over Medium high heat and add remaining oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown chicken all over transferring pieces to a dish as done.
- Add anchovy-garlic paste and capers to pot and cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, wine and stock and stir. Return chicken to pot turning to coat. Ad remaining rosemary and sage. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Beat egg yolk and lemon juice together. Ladle about ¼ cup of the sauce from the pot into the egg mixture, stirring constantly. Gradually add egg-sauce mixture to pot. Return chicken to pot, coating pieces with the sauce.
Comments: A robustly flavored dish great in winter from the chef of Valentino of Santa Monica.