- ¼ lb. salt pork, frozen
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 bunch parsley, leaves only
- ½ cup pinto beans, washed
- ½ cup navy beans, washed
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 tomatoes; peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- ½ cup macaroni
- ¼ head green cabbage, coarsely sliced
- Pesto for garnish
- Dice the salt pork, mince the garlic and parsley separately, then put them together and continue to chop and press them until a paste forms.
- Place the mixture in a soup kettle or Dutch oven and fill ¾ full with water and chicken stock. Add the pinto beans and cook for one hour.
- Add navy beans and tomatoes and cook another hour.
- Add the carrots celery and onion and cook 20 minutes.
- Add the potato and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and macaroni and cook 8 minutes
- Add the cabbage and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with a dollop of pesto.