- 2 pieces of orange peel thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ pound flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus oil
- 6 small dried red chilies
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 small onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- Orange slices for garnish
- For marinade, mix soy and cornstarch. Add steak and toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, combine all ingredients and set aside.
- Heat a wok or pan over high. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Add chilies and star anise and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add steak mixture and cook until steak is just pink, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil, add reserved orange peel and onion and stir fry for 1 minute. Add sauce ingredients and cook until sauce boils and thickens about 2 minutes.
- Return beef and chilies to pan and cook until heated through. Garnish with fresh orange slices.
- Serve with rice.