- 1 cup olive oil or less, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 4 1 3/4-inch-thick veal rib chops (each about 12 ounces), frenched
- 18 small shallots, peeled, halved
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 12-ounce package grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup drained capers plus 1 tablespoon caper
- brine reserved from jar
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 cups milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup polenta
- 1 ½ cup cheese-crumbled Gorgonzola or Fontina or what you have on hand
- ½ cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- Whisk 3/4 cup oil and lemon juice in small bowl to blend. Mix thyme, salt, and pepper in another small bowl. Rub thyme mixture all over veal chops; place in glass baking dish. Pour oil-lemon marinade over; let stand 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Combine shallots, vinegar, and remaining 1/4 cup oil in medium roasting pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are browned and tender, about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes to shallots and roast until tomatoes are soft and browned, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. Remove pan from oven. Add capers and 1 tablespoon reserved brine and stir to blend.
- Bring milk and cream to a boil. Gradually whisk polenta into milk mixture in a slow steady stream. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir frequently. Season with salt and pepper. About five minutes before the chops will be ready, Preheat broiler and place polenta in high fire proof dish and cover with cheese. Broil until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, heat large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Drain veal chops and transfer marinade to heavy small saucepan. Add veal to skillet and cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer skillet to oven and roast veal to desired doneness, about 10 minutes for medium.
- Bring reserved oil-lemon marinade to boil; boil 2 minutes. Place 1 veal chop on each of 4 plates. Divide shallot-tomato mixture among plates. Spoon Polenta alongside and top with toasted walnuts. Drizzle with oil-lemon marinade. Garnish with arugula and serve