- 1 cup (250 ml) Creme Fraiche or heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced (to give 2 generous tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 pounds (1 1/2 kg) zucchini, trimmed and cut in very fine, almost paper thin rounds
- 1 1/2 cups (125 g) grated Gruyere or Comte cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). Lightly butter a medium size baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Creme Fraiche, garlic shallot, salt, pepper to taste, and nutmeg. Add the zucchini rounds and mix, using your hands or a very large rubber scraper until the zucchini is throughly covered with Creme Fraiche.
- Transfer the zucchini to the prepared baking dish, pressing it gently into the pan so it forms an even layer.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the center of the oven until the zucchini is tender through and the cheese is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe comes from THE FRENCH FARMHOUSE COOKBOOK by Susan Herrmann Loomis, page 307.