- 1 large bunch broccoli, tough stems removed
- ½ cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- ½ cup Vidalia or other sweet onion cut into VERY THIN slices
- ¼ cup red bell pepper matchsticks
- ¼ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Separate broccoli into florets. Slice tender stalks into thin crosswise coin shapes. Bring a 2 quart saucepan half full of lightly salted water to a boil. Toss in florets and coins and blanch for 30 seconds, then drain quickly and immerse in a bowl of ice water. Drain again and chill.
- Spread pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a glass serving bowl, combine the reserved broccoli, onion slices, pepper matchsticks and raisins. Break pecans in half lengthwise. Just before serving, pour dressing over and toss to coat. Scatter toasted pecans on top.
Comments: This tangy salad takes only about 20 minutes to assemble. The piquant dressing includes vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and a creamy touch of mayo.