- 2 ½ tablespoons fine bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 new potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1/3 inch dice
- 4 medium onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 thin slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 large eggs
- 5 slices Swiss cheese
- Generously grease shallow round 6 cup oven proof dish or 8 inch square baking pan. Coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat butter in a 12 inch skillet over medium and add potatoes and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes stirring often. Stir in onions, sugar, nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Cook covered until onions are tender about 3 minutes. Then cook uncovered until onions are lightly browned but not burned. Toss with flour and transfer to prepared dish. Gently press down and sprinkle on bacon.
- Combine half and half, eggs and ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste in food processor. Pour over potato-onion mixture and tap pan on counter. Cover with cheese. Can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated.
- Bake at 375 about 25 or until a bit brown around the edges. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Comments: Great………..and the next day