- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cans garbanzos, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup water
- 2 large limes
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil and add onion, garlic and ginger. Stir often over medium until onions are lightly browned.
- Add the tomato and cook stirring until almost all the liquid evaporates.
- Add spices and stir over low until they become aromatic, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garbanzos and water, cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until sauce is thick. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Stir the juice from half of one lime into the garbanzos. Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with cilantro and serve remaining lime slices alongside.
Comments: Can use as a sauce and serve with rice or pasta.