- 1 large garlic clove
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves (about one bunch)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium eggplants cut into ¼ by ¼ by 3 inch pieces
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 4 Tsp Oil
- 8 ounces Fontina cheese shredded
- 5 small green onions julienne same size as eggplant
- 1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and julienne same size as eggplant
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, cored, seeded and julienne same size as eggplant
- ¼ cup chopped salted cashews
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Puree all ingredients in processor. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate up to 7 days.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt in a large bowl and mix. Transfer to a colander and let drain about 30 minutes.
- Position rack as close to heat as possible and preheat broiler. Generously oil a large baking sheet.
- Rinse eggplant under cold water and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels. Arrange half of eggplant in a single layer on sheet. Sprinkle lightly with oil and broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn over broil the other side Transfer eggplant to container with tight fitting lid. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Add cheese, onion and pepper to eggplant and mix well. This part of the salad can be prepared ahead to this point and covered and refrigerated up to 2 days. Pour dressing over eggplant mixture and toss. Refrigerate overnight and garnish with chopped cashews and basil leaves.
Comments: This is another recipe from the Ma Cuisine Cooking School in Southern California.