- 1 ½ ounces dried morels (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 ounce dried shitakes
- 6 cups cubed baguette
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, more for the baking dish
- 3 medium leeks (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced into half moons
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- ¾ cup Parmigiano
- Heat oven to 350. Grease a 9X13 inch baking dish with butter. I have also used two 9X9 pans.
- Soak and chop the mushrooms and strain the soaking liquid. Set aside ½ cup of the liquid for this recipe and save the remainder for other use.
- While the mushrooms soak, toast the bread cubes on a baking sheet in the oven until dry and crisp but not golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium. Add the leeks and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook stirring until the leeks are translucent soft and browned in places.Stir in the mushrooms and the reserved ½ cup mushroom liquid, raise the heat and cook until the liquid is almost completely evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs, whisk in the milk, cheese, ½ teaspoon salt and a few generous grinds of pepper.
- Arrange half f the bread cubes evenly over the bottom of the prepared dish. Scatter half of the mushroom-leek mixture over the bread.
- Pour over half of the egg mixture and top with the remaining bread and then the remaining veggie mixture. Pour the remaining egg mixture over the strata. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or preferably overnight.
- Heat the oven to 30 and let the strata sit at room temperature while the oven heats.
- Uncover and bake until the egg sets and the top is brown about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Comments: A strata is a savory bread pudding. If you can’t fine morels, substitute porcini or another mushroom.