- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 12 ounces Fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (⅔ cup)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons pesto sauce
- Bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in honey; simmer and stir until balsamic-honey mixture is reduced by half and slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Cool slightly.
Alternatively you can use some of our Balsamic Vinaigrette if you have it available (as you should).
- Spread 1 tablespoon reserved pesto on each bread slice.
- Layer four bread slices with mozzarella, bacon and gorgonzola.
- Drizzle each with balsamic reduction.
- Top with remaining bread slices, pesto side down.
- Spread outsides of sandwiches with mayonnaise, lightly pressing together.
- Toast one sandwich, covered, in a warm, large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until side is golden brown. Flip sandwich; cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes longer or until bread is golden brown and cheeses are melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
I found that the bacon did not greatly enhance the sandwich so I would consider eliminating it from your sandwiches.