- 1 pound lean beef like top round or flank steak trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 small sweet onion thinly sliced (soak in water if too strong)
- 5 large garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 1 large tomato cut into chunks
- Salad greens and cilantro for four
- White rice
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef with the fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, the sugar and chile flakes. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high and add 2 tablespoons oil and add onions and garlic and cook, stirring until they are slightly golden.
- Add the beef and cook until it reaches medium rare. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the vinegar and mustard and add the remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle the beef with 2 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Toss the salad greens and tomato with the remaining dressing and top with beef/onion mixture. Serve with rice.