- 4 medium zucchinis, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup ground meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3-4 tomatoes, diced or 1 can of petite diced tomato
- 1 cup of canned garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp red pepper paste or chile sauce
- 1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or 1 tbsp dried mint flakes
- ground pepper
- Prepare a bowl of salty water and soak sliced zucchini for half an hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a broad deep pan. Add ground meat and cook until browned and all the juice is gone. -Add garlic and onion, cook for approximately 5 more minutes.
- Add tomato paste and pepper paste (or chile sauce). Let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomato. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini slices. Cook on medium heat, stirring, until tender.
- Stir in garbanzo beans. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer zucchini musakka into a bowl. Sprinkle with mint and parsley.
Musakkas are always good with white rice, crusty bread, and yogurt.
Source: Almost Turkish Recipes